Resources For The Parents And Teachers Of Gifted And Talented Students
by TeachThought Staff
National Organizations and Advocacy
- National Association for Gifted Children (NAGC): Renowned organization offering resources, research, and advocacy for gifted education. They have a website with tip sheets, articles, and information on local chapters.
- Supporting Emotional Needs of the Gifted (SENG): Focuses on the social and emotional needs of gifted children, offering guidance and support groups for parents.
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC): Provides resources and professional development for educators of gifted children, which can be helpful for parents to understand the educational landscape.
Online Resources and Communities
- Hoagies’ Gifted Education Page: A comprehensive website with articles, books, and forums on all aspects of giftedness.
- Empowering Gifted Kids Blog: Offers practical tips and strategies for parents of gifted children, written by a gifted education specialist.
- Gifted & Talented subreddit: Online community for parents of gifted children to connect, share experiences, and ask questions.
Books and Podcasts
- Teaching Gifted Kids in Today’s Classroom: Strategies and Techniques Every Teacher Can Use (affiliate link): A guide to meeting the learning needs of gifted students in the mixed-abilities classroom.
- Raising Gifted Kids Podcast: Interviews with experts and parents on various topics about raising gifted children.
Enrichment and Learning Opportunities
- Kentucky Department of Education
- Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth (CTY): Renowned program offering challenging online and in-person courses for gifted students.
- Your local library: Many libraries have dedicated sections for gifted children with curated books and resources.