Angel Hidalgo scored twice on free kicks, including a last-minute winner, to lift the San Rafael High boys soccer team to a 4-3 victory against Novato on Saturday.
The Bulldogs (7-5-5, 7-5-3) trailed on two separate occasions but surged ahead for the first time in the 68th minute, taking a 3-2 advantage on Hidalgo’s first goal. Novato (8-3-3, 8-3-3) equalized when Kevin Mazariegos hit an Olympico, scoring directly off a corner.
Hidalgo scored on another free kick in the 80th minute to secure the win and keep San Rafael’s MCAL playoff hopes alive. The Bulldogs move into fourth place on 25 points but have just one game left on their schedule. Terra Linda and Archie Williams — now fifth and sixth, respectively — both have three games left, including a makeup game against each other on Friday.
Norman Tellez and Daniel Rodas Diaz had the other San Rafael goals. Benjamin DePalma and Jordy Diaz had the other goals for the Hornets, on assists by Mazariegos and Robert Little, respectively.
- Archie Williams also kept its playoff dreams intact following a 4-2 win against Terra Linda. Cole Sullivan netted twice and assisted on the other two goals for the Peregrine Falcons (6-5-3, 6-5-2). Liam Tzortzis and Daniel Silva had the other goals. Goalie Achilles Das had a huge game, making seven saves including four from point-blank range, according to Archie Williams coach Rene Ayala. Chris Maldonado had a goal and an assist for TL (7-4-2, 7-4-2) while Roan Goertz scored the other goal. The Peregrine Falcons sit three points behind the Trojans with a head-to-head game left on the schedule.
- Redwood rolled to a 5-0 victory against Marin Catholic (3-14-2, 2-12-0), clinching the regular-season title and the No. 1 seed in next week’s playoffs in the process.
- Bode Dossey scored on a seventh-minute penalty kick, helping Branson (2-11-5, 1-9-4) battle Tam (8-4-4, 8-3-4) to a 1-1 tie on Saturday.
Camryn Royston and Clea Jimenez Donovan scored to lift San Rafael to its first win of the season, 2-1 against Novato on Saturday.
Lila Nitta, Mirabelle Szilagyi and Dylan Moayedi were crucial to the defensive effort for the Bulldogs (1-16-1, 1-13-1), according to coach Nichole Caiocca. Abby Yates scored the goal for Novato (3-14-0, 2-12-0).
- Riley Pearson scored the only goal of the game as Branson defeated Tam 1-0 on Saturday. Pearson’s goal came in the 22nd minute and was assisted by Caitlin Capitolo. The result moves Branson (14-0-4, 10-0-4) back into first place on 34 points, two in front of both Tam and Redwood. Tam (11-4-2, 10-3-2) has one game left while Branson and Redwood have two, including the season finale against each other on Thursday. All three teams have already clinched MCAL playoff spots.
- Redwood battled to a 0-0 draw against Marin Catholic (7-4-3, 6-5-3). The Giants (11-1-5, 9-0-5) face Novato on Tuesday before finishing against Branson.
- Mari Rode netted twice to lead Archie Williams to a 2-1 win against Terra Linda. Rode has 12 goals in league play this season and was assisted by Lucy LaFave and Beth Brisson on Saturday. Susannah Reibel scored the goal for TL (2-11-3, 1-10-3). The Peregrine Falcons (9-3-3, 8-3-3) need to take one point from their final two games to clinch the last playoff spot. Archie Williams ends the season with games against sixth-place San Marin and fifth-place MC.